[Mailman-Users] Getting Apache to let Mailman run...

Jeff Shultz jeff at shultzinfosystems.com
Wed Sep 13 06:35:09 CEST 2000

Okay, I'm still in the neophyte category when it comes to most things on Linux. I'm running Mandrake 7.1 (with a lot of
updates), Apache 1.3.x (probably .9 - whatever came with Mandrake 7.1), postfix, and a few other odds and ends. This
machine is masqueraded to the internet, with the firewall portmapping anything that needs to get through. HTTP isn't one
of them -- my outside webserver is run on  another box entirely.

I'm installing Mailman for my own use - I don't need a web interface, but that seems to be the only way things go with
mailing lists.

Right now I'm trying to get Apache to allow me access to the cgi-bin stuff to run Mailman with. I've got the ScriptAlias
/mailman/ /home/mailman/cgi-bin/ line in the httpd.conf file (I've rebooted the machine several times, so I know it's
taken -- I'm having a serious mental block... what is the command in Linux to get a process like httpd to stop and restart,
rereading it's conf file?). I've added the following lines to httpd.conf:
<Directory /home/mailman/cgi-bin>
Options ExecCgi FollowSymlinks
AllowOverride AuthConfig FileInfo Indexes Limit Options
order allow,deny
allow from all
</Directory>
The above was basically copied intact from another cgi-bin directory entry (nothing in there to test, either).

But it keeps telling me that http://taz.shultzinfosystems.com:8080/mailman/ (and anything after this) is "Forbidden  You
don't have permission to access /mailman(etc) on this server"

I was able to send out a message with the newlist command... so that part works.

Any ideas? This is getting really frustrating.

Jeff Shultz
Shultz Infosystems
www.shultzinfosystems.com