[Mailman-Users] Getting a Subscriber List

Chuq Von Rospach chuqui at plaidworks.com
Sat Sep 23 00:05:04 CEST 2000

At 2:39 PM -0700 9/22/00, Roger B.A. Klorese wrote:
>Yes, but.  Again, why should we *have* to?  "You got it for free -- lower
>your expectations" is an unfortunate expression of how people should
>interact with Open Source software...

and it's an incorrect expression. You shouldn't *have* to, but the
reality is that mailman right now is a work in progress, and there's
a LOT of progress (just compare 2.0b5 to 1.1), and the documentation
is trailing code development. This isn't majordomo, where the code
base hasn't changed significantly in five years.

In a perfect world, this wouldn't happen. but I expect that once 2.0
ships, we'll be able to sit down, take a breath and bring the
documentation forward as well, while starting work on 2.1.

You don't need to be a developer to help with the project. Bugs,
suggestions, problems -- they all help. But "fix the documentation"
isn't all that useful, because we know that. t just hasn't been
something we've had time to get done, because of time and resouce
issues.

(heck, I know I should "lose another 50 pounds", too, but telling me
I'm overweight doesn't make me lose weight faster... *grin*)

it's a matter of resource and priority, Roger. Right now, Barry's in
a code crunch, and those of us working on what we can with 2.0 (in my
case, trying to keep up with CVS and test changes as they come out,
plus trying to pull together some designs for pieces like a user
account database) have left no time to write docs, and a moving
target to write up to boot...

it'll get there, but not in sync or immediately -- because we can't do it.

--
Chuq Von Rospach - Plaidworks Consulting (mailto:chuqui at plaidworks.com)
Apple Mail List Gnome (mailto:chuq at apple.com)

And they sit at the bar and put bread in my jar
and say 'Man, what are you doing here?'"