[Mailman-Users] Switching servers

Tim Pepper tpepper at opensales.com
Tue Sep 26 03:10:49 CEST 2000

On Mon, 25 Sep 2000, Ashley M. Kirchner wrote:

>     o This is where it's somewhat blank to me, can I just tar/gz up the
>       old installation of Mailman from the old server (sans stuff like
>       ~/Mailman, ~/cgi-bin, etc.), and untar it on the new server?  Or
>       do I have to selectively go through the files and grab only what
>       it created?
>
>     - Set up aliases
>     - Configure webserver
>     - Restart the whole shebang and hope everyone's happy...

I just went through this recently moving 2.0beta3 with exim on Debian to 2.0beta5
with qmail on Redhat.  I did:

- installed mailman on new server
- stopped mta on old server
- copied ~mailman/archives (using tar with -zxpf when uncompressing)
- copied ~mailman/lists
- for kicks ran ~mailman/bin/check_db {listname} on all the lists
-  "    "    "  ~mailman/bin/check_perms
-  "    "    "  ~mailman/bin/list_lists [-a]
- ran ~mailman/bin/move_list {listname} for each list
- copied aliases and ran newaliases
- (various things related to the change of mta)
- started mta on new machine

The only real problem I had was with the private archive url parameter in
'~mailman/Mailman/mm_cfg.py'.  I had to remove the trailing '/' for the web
page links to work but it had to be there for the move_list to run I
believe..some back and forth like that.  move_list would crash, I'd remove
it's lock file, and then it'd run.

Don't know if it's right, but in the end everything works...

Tim

*  tim.pepper at opensales dot com     * Venimus, Vidimus, *
*  http://www.opensales.com         * Dolavimus         *