[Mailman-Users] Redirecting bounces?

Chuq Von Rospach chuqui at plaidworks.com
Tue Sep 26 07:47:24 CEST 2000

At 1:38 AM -0400 9/26/00, Barry A. Warsaw wrote:
>There are currently four addresses that every list has, and their
>purposes are now documented in the big comment at the top of
>cron/qrunner.  For a list called `listname', the addresses are:
>
>listname         - postings to the list
>listname-request - passes only through the email command processor
>listname-admin   - passes through the bounce processor, but if no bounces
>                    are detected, the message is forwarded to the list
>                    owners.
>listname-owner   - goes directly to the list owners without passing
>                    through the bounce processor.

And beyond this, the MTA might have it's own addresses you might want
to create. For instance, sendmail would use (if defined)
owner-listname as the value of the message envelope, and where
bounces would go (it users listname-owner if owner-listname isn't
defined, I believe, but it's usually a good idea to define it
explicitly).

Which remindes me -- Barry, even though it's officially deprecated,
I've found it a *very* good idea to use Errors-To: on mail list
messages, because while it's supposed to be obsolete, many of the
mail systems out there that make list owners crazy by not following
the rules still seem to support it. It's harmless to add, and it adds
a layer of backwards compatibility for those sites out there still
running ancient or badly managed software... Errors-To ought to be
set to listname-owner for Mailman.

chuq
--
Chuq Von Rospach - Plaidworks Consulting (mailto:chuqui at plaidworks.com)
Apple Mail List Gnome (mailto:chuq at apple.com)

And they sit at the bar and put bread in my jar
and say 'Man, what are you doing here?'"