[Mailman-Users] What does this mean?

Chuq Von Rospach chuqui at plaidworks.com
Wed Aug 22 02:32:12 CEST 2001

On 8/21/01 5:07 PM, "bilbrey at orbdesigns.com" <bilbrey at orbdesigns.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 21, 2001 at 04:40:05PM -0400, Jonathan Andrew Sheen wrote:
>>
>> What does this error mean? Where do I look to fix it?
>>
>> Aug 21 16:38:03 2001 (30344) Could not acquire qrunner lock
>
> you might try a google search on "qrunner lock"
>
> My best guess (a stab in the dark) is that at some point Mailman
> died badly, leaving... the qrunner.lock file behind,

In most cases, it's actually not an error message at all, but once a minute,
cron spawns a qrunner. If qrunner already is running, the new one catches
that, logs itself and goes away. If mailman is working okay, you can ignore
this message.

If mailman is wedged, then you need to kill your existing python processes
(if any), clear the locks and let the system re-sync. But 99.8% of the time,
you can simply ignore this message. It's simply a heartbeat message, not an
error.

The Pinball Machine Rule is the observation that it doesn't matter a wit if
the instructions are printed clearly for all to see, nobody will read
them.  They'll just drop their quarter(s) and start pushing buttons
like a Tommy. -- Barry Warsaw