[Mailman-Users] ImportError: ld.so.1: /usr/local/bin/python: fatal: libssl.so.0.9.6: open failed: No such file or directory

Greg Ward gward at mems-exchange.org
Mon Dec 3 20:20:10 CET 2001

On 03 December 2001, Jerome Warnier said:
> The subject is the error I get every single time a script has to be
> executed from Mailman.

Your Python installation is broken.

> On the other side, I don't understand why it needs so much OpenSSL, as
> I'm not willing to use it (I'm willing to run Mailman on a private
> network).

It doesn't need OpenSSL, but recent versions of Python will use OpenSSL
if they find it *at build-time*.  If things change --
eg. libssl.so.0.9.6 was on the system where you built Python, but not on
the system where you're running it -- then Python will be unable to load
the socket module, which Mailman is heavily dependent on.

> I'm in trouble because I cannot get to recompile nor Python2.1.1 nor
> OpenSSL on my Sun Entreprise 10000 running Solaris 8.  It seems "as",
> packaged with Solaris, doesn't understand some instructions.

Sun has a long and glorious history of shipping broken software.  (Come
to think of it, so does every other computer manufacturer and software
company on the planet.)  Try gcc -- I've never had a problem building
Python with gcc on Solaris.

        Greg
Greg Ward - software developer                gward at mems-exchange.org