[Mailman-Users] Large Lists manipulations

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Thu Dec 6 04:14:46 CET 2001

    Greg> On 04 December 2001, Tass Chapman said:
    >> Is there a quicker way to remove members than the UI or the
    >> remove_members tool? I can quickly use emacs to load and find
    >> the email in the config.db, but I am not sure of the syntax and
    >> am rather loathe to just delete at will.

    Greg> Aieee!!  Don't do this -- you will completely hose Mailman's
    Greg> configuration for that list.  config.db is a binary file,
    Greg> you can't edit it with a text editor.

Well, write and distribute an emacs mode for it.  Here's proof of
concept:

;;; mailman-db-mode.el --- help the user to correctly edit config.db

;; This is in the public domain, the author does not want to be
;; associated with such shamelessness in any way shape or form.
;; Please delete the post after reading.

;; This will crash your default-configured Emacs.  No other warranty,
;; express or implied, is provided.

(add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("config\\.db$" . mailman-db-mode))

(defun mailman-db-mode ()
  "Convenient, efficient access to your Mailman list configuration databases."
  (message "Not implemented yet.  Use Mailman instead.  Or implement me.")
  (sleep-for 2)
  (message "This will teach you not to try to edit binary files!")
  (sleep-for 2)
  ;; we are not a destructive virus, be careful of user data
  (save-buffers-kill-emacs 'dont-ask))

;;; end mailman-db-mode.el