[Mailman-Users] New FAQ entry: broken autoresponders

Steve Lay S.W.Lay at ucles-red.cam.ac.uk
Fri Dec 7 11:24:24 CET 2001

Good new FAQ page - this page will also be useful when liaising with
postmasters of broken systems too.

But is there more that mailman can do?

I have been looking through several recent mail loop incidents and also
examples of the more benign but still broken one-shot responders that end
up on reply-to lists but mercifully know not to reply to themselves.  In
all cases the envelope sender of the autoreply has been set to something
other than the user - either postmaster or MAILER-DAEMON (in the case of
Novell Groupwise).

Is it possible to filter the envelope sender on a list?  If so, filtering
senders like MAILER-DAEMON would catch groupwise (the worst I've come
across) and postmaster would catch one other that I know of too.  Ideally,
this would be done by mailman itself.  Would these envelope addresses ever
constitute legitimate postings?

I think mailman already examines the envelop sender in the bounce detection
stuff (as errors are traditionally sent with an empty from address in the

Steve Lay
Technical Manager, ITAL Unit
University of Cambridge Local Examinations Syndicate