[Mailman-Users] FAQ Question...

Richard Idalski ridalski at nandomedia.com
Tue Dec 11 19:49:24 CET 2001

I saw this in the mailman FAQ for tuning sendmail:

You can do this without modifying your sendmail files at all. Instead, in
your startup script, add:

        /usr/sbin/sendmail -bd -ODeliveryMode=defer \
                -ODaemonPortOptions=Name=MSA,Port=NNNN,M=E,Addr=127.0.0.1

Where NNNN is some port number not otherwise used (you can test if
something's in use by doing "telnet localhost NNNN" -- if it's refused,
there's no daemon listening)
This sets up a sendmail process listening to the alternate port, in DEFER
mode, but set to talk only to the localhost interface, so it's not
accessible by anyoneother than your local machine: no open relay problems.

 This could theoretically solve all my problems... My question is: If there
are a certin amount of domains that I DO need to relay mail for, can this
still work? and if so, how?

  -Richard Idalski