[Mailman-Users] disabling archives

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Wed Dec 12 16:36:42 CET 2001

On Wednesday 12 December 2001 10:15, Joshua Gould wrote:
> "Jon Carnes" <jonc at haht.com> writes:
> > Oddly enough, this is under the Archival section of the web-admin...
> > You can turn it off there.  Then, if you want to remove all the old
> > archives, you will need to login to the server and delete the files out
> > of ~mailman/archives/private/<listname>/
>
> Jon,
>
> If I'm understanding correctly, you are saying to visit:
>
> http://localhost/mailman/admin/testlist/archive
>
> and set "Archive messages?" to no.   Correct?

Correct.

> The problem with this approach is that:
>
> 1.> I would have to do it for all of our lists and we have TONS.

Consider it job security... or look at the utilities in ~mailman/bin/...
and write a script to do it for you.

> 2.> New lists are still created with archiving on by default, so you
> would need to change this for all new lists too.

Edit ~mailman/Mailman/mm_cfg.py (look at Defaults.py in the same directory
for instructions...) and set archiving to off.

While you are there, edit a few other entries that you always find yourself
adjusting on new lists (or wish that admins would choose by default...)

> 3.> If this list admin is someone other than me, they can simply log in
> and re-enable archiving.

Change the rights on the ~mailman/archive directory so that creation of
archives fails, or simply tell your admins not to turn it on, since this is
really a management issue and not a technical one.

Jon Carnes