[Mailman-Users] [OT] open relay probes...

Harold Paulson haroldp at sierraweb.com
Wed Dec 12 18:15:29 CET 2001

It is unlikely that it's related to mailman.  For what it's worth,
even Eric Allman says you shouldn't edit your .cf files directly:

Always build your .cf from a .mc, and treat the .cf like a binary
file.  The FAQs at sendmail.org are pretty good.  This page:

has excellent information on locking sendmail down against spam and
other fun stuff.  It looks BSD specific, but it isn't really.

That said, if you can switch to a modern MTA (Postfix, etc..), do so now.

	- H

>Need a little help - Getting relay probes from AOL and obiz (sic) that are
>reporting an "open relay" on my servers. (this has only happened after
>starting the lists) I'm running RH 7.2 w/ sendmail 8.11.x and the config
>tools are lousy. Anyone have a sure-fire, failsafe way to kill this problem??
>(I get a migraine just OPENING sendmail.cf)
>Any help would be appreciated. - respond "off list" to hold the traffic down
>if you like.
>PS: check out the "relaycheck" pages to see if you have this vulnerability.
>Jay S. Curtis
>Camelid Listowner
>Alpacas Listowner
>member info / subscribe / unsubscribe / user options at:

Harold Paulson                  Sierra Web Design
haroldp at sierraweb.com           http://www.sierraweb.com
VOICE: 775.833.9500             FAX:   810.314.1517