[Mailman-Users] Bouncing address problems....

Jon Carnes jonc at haht.com
Thu Dec 13 21:11:30 CET 2001

To stop sending mail to a bouncing address Mailman simply actives the nomail
option for the offending address; however, at that point Mailman *does not*
erase or zero out the bounces from the database.  The bounce record is still
in the database in the bounce_info{ } section.  So it is likely that one
more bounce and the user will again be moved over to nomail.

Removing the user from the list however *does* remove the info from the
bounce_info section (I just checked, using Mailman version 2.06).

You should check your database.  Indeed you might need to recreate it.

For now, look at the database using:
  ~mailman/bin/dumpdb  ~mailman/lists/<listname>/config.db |more

and look for the user.  You will find them under "bounce_ info".  Now remove
the user (go to the web-admin / Membership management / and remove the first
check mark next to their name / click on the "Submit Your Changes" button at
the bottom of the page).

Now dumpout the database and look again.  Is the user still in the
members{ } section?  Are they still in the bounce_info{ } section?

Hope this helps - Jon Carnes