[Mailman-Users] Big Lists

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Tue Dec 18 21:02:07 CET 2001

On Tue, 18 Dec 2001 10:39:39 -0800
Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui at plaidworks.com> wrote:
> On 12/18/01 5:06 AM, "Tass" <tass at kenderhome.com> wrote:

>>> disable_dns_lookups = yes

>> I have found this to be no real change.  On a PIII-500 with 512M
>> I am getting 100K-120K/hr on a T1 connection with avg message of
>> 6.1K.

> Then I'd guess you have a fairly small group of domains you deal
> with. The wider your subscribers wander, especially if you cross
> continents, the more you'll see issues with slow DNS. Better to
> turn it off and let the Mta deal with it asynchronously.

Uhh, Chuq, from the man page:

   disable_dns_lookups
              Disable  DNS  lookups. This means that mail must be
              forwarded via a smart relay host.

AFAICT Postfix will only do DNS verifies if you set one the
(E)HELO/MAIL FROM: etc checks as detailed here:

  http://www.postfix.org/uce.html#smtpd_helo_required

And unless you set that, Postfix does not DNS verifies until
attempted delivery time.

--
J C Lawrence