[Mailman-Users] check_perms problems ...

Morris Jones mojo at whiteoaks.com
Wed Dec 19 02:50:10 CET 2001

Hi ...

I'm having a good time setting up a replacement box for my mail and web
server, switching to postfix for MTA, and moving a lists over from my
old mailman server (2.0.6 to 2.0.8).

A couple of issues I've noticed:

1. I was surprised that the --with-mail-gid needed to be "mailman" and 
not the "postfix" user.  Wasn't it the other way around for sendmail?

2. I'm moving my lists over by taring and restoring the list data files
($prefix/lists/<listname>/*) and the archive files.  

2 a. check_perms is an important step after doing this.  =)
2 b. check_perms failed to find that the ownership for request.db
     wasn't set correctly (to "apache" the cgi-gid).  I discovered
     the issue by comparing the permissions with those of a newly created
     test list.

Otherwise, it appears that I'll be able to proceed apace.

(I'm upgrading whiteoaks.com from a pentium 90 with 24 mb ram to a
P-III 1 GHz with 512 mb, using RedHat 7.2.)

Happy Holidays,
Morris Jones         <*>
San Rafael, CA
mojo at whiteoaks.com

More information about the Mailman-Users mailing list