[Mailman-Users] Setting up a new list

Tim Legg mail_man at pc047113.stuorg.iastate.edu
Thu Dec 20 22:25:03 CET 2001

Running FreeBSD 4.4/Postfix/Mailman 2.0.5

I installed mailman via FreeBSD ports hierarchy a few days ago.  I am
playing around trying to get a test mailing list celled 'test'.
Afterreading Chris Kolar's docs and the list.org docs, I got brave enough
to try running the ./bin/newuser script.

I got the following:

pc047113# python -i newlist
Enter the name of the list: test
Enter the email of the person running the list: legg at iastate.edu
Initial test password:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "newlist", line 220, in ?
    main()
  File "newlist", line 169, in main
    mlist.Create(listname, owner_mail, pw)
  File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py", line 786, in Create
    self.__lock.lock()
  File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/LockFile.py", line 219, in lock
    self.__write()
  File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/LockFile.py", line 350, in __write
    fp = open(self.__tmpfname, 'w')
IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory:
'/usr/local/mailman/locks/<site>.l
ock.pc047113.stuorg.iastate.edu.4164'

I have a feeling there is something fundamental that I am missing here,
and it is probably something rather stupid.  This has stumped me for three
days now though.

Perhaps Mailman isn't running or something was missed during the ports
install.  Never found any docs where it was installed.  Found lots of web
documents on the user/list manager end of the software, but does anybody
know of any further HOWTOs, docs for me to reference (interested in more
administrative/installation)?

Would I be better off removing it from ports and then
downloading/compiling/installing manually?