[Mailman-Users] email looping - autoresponders - how to stop it?

Marc Perkel marc at perkel.com
Sat Dec 29 19:53:05 CET 2001

Norbert Bollow wrote:

> > I have a problem. I created a list and dumped a bunch of emails into it.
> > It sent an initial message to everyone - but one person is on vacation
> > and the autoresponder responded. Now Mailman  and the Autoresponder are
> > sending messages back and forth.
> >
> > How do I make mailman ignore autoresponders?
>
> Only broken autoresponders are a problem, as the others will
> ignore Mailman.

Yes - but - I'm about to dump 20,000 names into a list and there are probably
a LOT of broken autoresponders out there.

> Please share the specifics of the loop.

I think the issue is that I dumped the names into the join box and it sent an
initial message from "list-admin" and the autoresponder is replying to
list-admin.

> Does the list do Reply-To: munging?

No

> Does the broken autoresponder put some header into its messages
> which makes it possible to unambiguously recognize them as coming
> from a robot?

I think it's a dumb responder.