[Mailman-Users] Truly Private Archives

Kenneth Jacker khj at cs.appstate.edu
Tue Feb 6 05:15:34 CET 2001

I posted the following a few weeks ago, but saw no responses:

  |I have a hunch I'm just being dense/stupid, but I'm not sure how to
  |make (at least some) list archives unreadable on the 'Mailman' host.
  |
  |It appears everything under ~mailman has at least `--x' permissions
  |for the world/others and many have 'r-x' or just 'r--'.
  |
  |What do I do to make list archives *unreadable* locally?

Anyone on the local 'Mailman' machine can -- with even a little
knowledge of Mailman's directory structure and hosted mailing lists --
simply 'cd' to one of the "archives" sub-dirs and "read away".

What if the permissions of /usr/local/etc/mailman (~mailman) are set
to:
        drwxrws---  mailman  mailman

instead of the current:

        drwxrwsr-x  mailman  mailman      ?

Will the *entire* Mailman system still work correctly?

Thanks for your comments!

  -Kenneth