[Mailman-Users] Message-id?

Christopher P. Lindsey lindsey at mallorn.com
Tue Feb 6 08:51:54 CET 2001

> When people subscribe, using the web, and mailman sendt the mail with
> the secret to prove your identity, it sends it without any Message-Id
> line. I process mails using SMTP to my local qmail installation (so
> SMTP to localhost) and qmail does not add any Message-Id either.

If qmail doesn't add a Message-Id: header it's not reasonable to expect
Mailman to insert one either.  However, RFC 822 specifically states that
a Message-Id: header is *optional*, so Mailman isn't violating anything
by not adding one.

> The result is, that the mail is delivered to the target users mailhost
> without any Message-Id line at all, and some mailsystem is configured
> to performs header check and will reject such mails.

The systems that reject emails without Message-Id: headers are non-RFC
compliant and should be flogged.  Sending 10MB attachments with the
envelope sender set to postmaster at broken.example.com without a Message-Id:
is the only appropriate course of action...  (no, I'm only kidding about
this last sentence).

Chris