[Mailman-Users] Mailman as helpdesk tool

Chuq Von Rospach chuqui at plaidworks.com
Wed Feb 7 03:30:23 CET 2001

On 2/6/01 5:36 PM, "Andrew Solomon" <andrew at illywhacker.net> wrote:

> At present help requests and bug reports go to a mail alias for the list of
> 30-odd developers and to an archive, but there is no automated management.
> I am investigating the possibility of using Mailman as a tool for
> automating the management of this "helpdesk". (I am aware of Reqng
> but would prefer to use something more mainstream).

I wouldn't do that. the helpdesk piece is complex enough you don't want to
try to wedge it onto Mailman. Instead, use a helpdesk or bug tracking system
like bugzilla. Go to freshmeat.net and search on "helpdesk" or "bug
tracking'. You'll find a number of things that can do the job a lot easier
than trying to whack Mailman into submission.

I've actually been looking at this recently myself, since I need a way to
automate postmaster mail and spread it across a staff, and perhaps route
some mail to some admins and not others. I haven't made a decision yet, but
I'm definitely going to use (and adapt) a system.

Helpdesk stuff gets tricky fast. I'd be wary of rolling my own on this.

  To the optimist, the glass is half full.
  To the pessimist, the glass is half empty.
  To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.