[Mailman-Users] Re: Mailman as helpdesk tool

Andrew Solomon andrew at illywhacker.net
Wed Feb 7 03:45:43 CET 2001

Before someone else does, I should correct two errors in the same paragraph:

> automating the management of this "helpdesk". (I am aware of Reqng
> but would prefer to use something more mainstream).

1. I should be using the term "request tracking" rather than the more
general "helpdesk";

2. Reqng is about as mainstream as request trackers come.
Rather, I suspect (hope) we don't need a specialized request tracking system.

a) Our requirements are rather unsophisticated: for example we don't need
the concepts of "give" and "take" responsibility for a request -
generally there is quite a bit of internal discussion on any nontrivial
request;

b) I want something which doesn't assume the members of the support team
have accounts on the server;

c) I want something with a web interface which doesn't use frames.

Andrew