[Mailman-Users] RTFM, yeah must have been mentioned here b4

Ashley M. Kirchner ashley at pcraft.com
Thu Feb 8 17:39:37 CET 2001

Len Merikanto wrote:

> Failure to exec script. WANTED gid 12, GOT gid 2.  (Reconfigure to take
> 2?)
> 554 5.3.0 "|/home/mailman/mail/wrapper post test"... unknown mailer error
> 2
>
> have installed like 4 or 5 mailmans on freebsd machines and this bitchy
> linux just doesnt swallow it?

    *****  MESSAGE RECALL: WRONG INFO  *****
    Reason: Wrong section quoted

----------
    Read the error message again, and read the suggestion it gives you.

    Error: WANTED gid 12, GOT gid 2.
    Suggestion: Reconfigure to take 2?

    Also helpful to read is the INSTALL file that comes with Mailman,
specifically section 2:

    2. Running configure

    TAKE SPECIAL NOTE OF THE --with-mail-gid AND --with-cgi-gid
    OPTIONS BELOW.  YOU WILL PROBABLY NEED TO USE THESE!

    [ ... snip ... ]

>          --with-groupname=<groupname-or-gid>
>            Specify a different groupname than `mailman' to use as a
>            default.  Use this only if the groupname `mailman' is
>            already in use.  Can take an integer group id.  Be sure
>            your $prefix directory is group-owned by this group.

    This was supposed to be the following section:

      --with-mail-gid=<group-or-groups>
            Specify an alternative group for running scripts via the
            mail wrapper.  <group-or-groups> can be a list of one or
            more integer group ids or symbolic group names.  The first
            value in the list that resolves to an existing group is
            used.  By default, the value is the list `other daemon'.

            This is highly system dependent and you must get this
            right, because the group id is compiled into the mail
            wrapper program for added security.  On systems using
            sendmail, the sendmail.cf configuration file designates
            the group id of sendmail processes using the "DefaultUser"
            option.  (If commented out, it still may be indicating the
            default...)

	AMK4

--
H | Hi, I'm currently out of my mind.  Please leave a message.  BEEEEP!