[Mailman-Users] Setting up umbrella lists

Scott Russell scottrus at raleigh.ibm.com
Tue Feb 13 20:36:01 CET 2001

All -

I've got some more details as to what I'm seeing when trying to setup an
umbrella list.

"List A" = Parent List <lista at ibm.com>
"List B" = Child List <listb at ibm.com>

Right now I have List B <listb at ibm.com> as a member of List A. When I send
an email to List A <lista at ibm.com> (The parent list) I see the following:

  * The members of "List A" get the message
  * The subject is "[List A] blah blah blah"
  * The footer is the List A defined footer

That same message shows up in List B as follows:

  * The members of "List B" get the message
  * The subject is "[List A][List B] blah blah blah"
  * The footer is the List A footer AND the List B footer

So how do I setup Mailman so that it knows  List B <listb at ibm.com> is
another mailing list and that it should not append a list tag in the subject
or attache a footer to the list?

In the Mailman configs for each list it's setup as follows:

List A: umbrella_list = 1
        umbrella_member_suffix = '-owner'

List B: umbrella_list = 0
        umbrella_member_suffix = '-owner'

Any help would be great. Is what I'm trying to do beyond the ability of
Mailman 2.0?

-- Scott