[Mailman-Users] Lyris List server

Kevin McCann kmccann at bellanet.org
Wed Feb 14 16:06:29 CET 2001

At 03:38 PM 2001/02/14 +0200, Pieter Boshoff wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I would like to know if there are anybody how have successfully migrated
>Lyris to Mailman?

Pieter,

I was able to move a list over from Lyris to Mailman but there was a
problem with processing the exported archive file (created using the Lyris
exp-arc.pl script). I could not get the old messages processed by Pipermail
at all, although I had better luck with MHonarc. Lyris stores its messages
with double carriage returns and I had to convert them to single CRs before
Mhonarc would process them properly. To fix a Lyris exported archive file,
just do something like this in Perl:

#! /usr/bin/perl
#
open(INFILE,"@ARGV") || die "Couldn't open input file\n";
open(OUTFILE,"> @ARGV.fix") || die ;
while (<INFILE>) {
         $line = $_;
         $line =~ s/\r\r/\r/g;
         print OUTFILE $line;
}
close(INFILE);
close(OUTFILE);

If you  name the above script "fixfile.pl", then just do:

 > fixfile.pl  mylist-l.txt

And you'll get a fixed file called  "mylist-l.txt.fix"

If you figure out how to get Pipermail to process the fixed import file,
let me know.

As far as members go, you'll have to use (or write) a script on the Lyris
side to create a file that contains addresses for regular Lyris members and
another file for digest and index Lyris members and use the mailman
add_members command to add them:

 > add_members -n  regular_members.txt  mylist-l
 > add_members -d  digest_members.txt  mylist-l

Your index users will have to be advised that the best you can do for them
is set them to digest (unless mailman has an index subscribers feature and
I'm not aware of it).

As you're probably aware, Lyris is feature-rich. Many Lyris list
configuration options simply do not exist in Mailman (I'd say that 80% of
stuff on the Mailman wish list exists in Lyris), so you'll have to keep
this in mind when creating your lists. Administrators and members will lose
options and you may want to make them aware of that beforehand rather than
suffering their wrath after the fact.

Good luck!

- Kevin