[Mailman-Users] fund management[private & confidential]

Marc MERLIN marc_news at valinux.com
Thu Feb 15 00:18:56 CET 2001

On Mon, Feb 12, 2001 at 10:10:04AM -0500, Arthur J. Byrnes wrote:
> At 07:20 PM 2/11/01 -0800, jeff utarzi wrote:
> >Attn: The President
> >Dear sir,
> >FUND MANAGEMENT / BUSINESS OFFER.  Blah, blah, blah spam removed
>
> Ok, I started this earlier, and decided that I was just being a
> whiner, but now, I'm not so sure.  This particular piece of spam
> is not only annoying, it is false, illegal, and really old...
>
> The spam to this list has become rather heavy, and I think it
> may be time to restrict the posting to subscribers only.  As

There is a better option.
Since the  python.org folks run  exim 3.21, they  could stick this  in their
exim.conf:
sender_verify_hosts_callback = /etc/mail/badsendinghosts:*
sender_verify_callback_domains = /etc/mail/baddomains:*
# Wait up to 90s for the remote mail server to answer
sender_verify_callback_timeout = 90s

# Refuse messages with bad headers
headers_sender_verify = true
headers_check_syntax = true
headers_checks_fail = true

The first 4 lines refuse any mail that  can't be replied to, and gets rid of
a lot of  spam (most of it  actually), the other ones catch  other mail that
doesn't look right.

See the exim.org documentation for more info on those.

Marc