[Mailman-Users] Majordomo?

Doug Alcorn doug at lathi.net
Sat Feb 17 20:29:42 CET 2001

"M. Robert Martin" <rob at 2guyshosting.com> writes:

> i've been on majordomo lists that are horrendously slow, sometimes
> on the order of ten hours. they have since switched to mailman, and
> it seems to happen within 15 minutes now.

As a former majordomo administrator, I can attest to this.  I have a
moderately sized list of about 300 members.  My delivery time was well
over an hour.  The problem is that majordomo doesn't do any
threading.  It just sends the message with _all_ of the recipients to
your MTA.  Mailman, on the other hand, appears to split it up by TLDs
into four seperate messages: all address in .edu are in one message,
all .com in another, all .org, and all the remaining TLDs.  With just
this crude seperation, my list is now delivering in under 15 minutes.

My only complaints with Mailman are a) lack of support for fullnames
and b) lack of full control over headers.
--
(__) Doug Alcorn <doug at lathi.net> http://www.lathi.net chat:lathinet at yahoo|aol
oo / PGP 02B3 1E26 BCF2 9AAF 93F1  61D7 450C B264 3E63 D543