[Mailman-Users] getting "mail forwarding loops"

Bob Puff@NLE bob at nleaudio.com
Wed Feb 28 18:57:49 CET 2001

Hi Jeme (& gang),

Thanks for your reply!

> The messages for which I got those errors, however, were not delivering at
> all.  You should doublecheck that.

Do you mean that certain users are not receiving their messages, or that the single message that is being broadcast in that session is not getting out at all?  From what I can tell, everyone seems to be receiving the messages.

> The problem comes when your mail server goes to lookup the mail exchanger
> for the domain the message is addressed to and finds itself, but the
> server is not configured to accept mail for that domain...

Hmm, that's interesting.  There are some users who are on my local system who are members of the list.  However, as far as I know, all mail works fine - there is nothing that is delivered locally that should bounce.

> Let's say your mail server is supposed to recognize crazyperson.net as a
> local domain... but you don't have that configured properly.  A message is
> then handed by a local client (mailman) to the server destined for the
> (local, but unrecognized) domain crazyperson.net.

Shouldn't it just handle it like a normal bounce, if indeed a message sent to that given address would normally bounce?

Thanks!

Bob