[Mailman-Users] Can't Install Mailman Until Install GCC!!!

Ben Ocean zope at TheWebsons.com
Wed Jan 3 15:32:12 CET 2001

Hi;
Forgive these newbie questions, but I *really* want to install Mailman!!! I
tried the GCC list but my questions weren’t answered. For the record, I own
my own server and it runs RedHat 6.2 (and I’m really not as dumb as these
questions may make me appear :) There they have the following installation
instructions. My questions are embedded:

Like most GNU software, GCC must be configured before it can be built. This
document describes the recommended configuration procedure for both native
and cross targets.
<<<
I’m not developing software: I only want to install Mailman. Is this
considered *native* or *cross-target*?

We use srcdir to refer to the toplevel source directory for GCC; we use
objdir to refer to the toplevel build/object directory.
<<<
What is *toplevel source directory* and *toplevel build/object directory*?
Can you give me an example?

First, we highly recommend that GCC be built into a separate directory than
the sources which does not reside within the source tree. This is how we
generally build GCC; building where srcdir == objdir should still work, but
doesn't get extensive testing; building where objdir is a subdirectory of
srcdir is unsupported.
<<<
What does this mean? Can you give me an example?

Second, when configuring a native system, either "cc" or "gcc" must be in
your path or you must set CC in your environment before running configure.
Otherwise the configuration scripts may fail.
<<<
What does this mean? Can you give an example?
TIA,
BenO