[Mailman-Users] something for the wish list?

Hubbard, Matt m.hubbard at ic.ac.uk
Thu Jan 11 17:44:29 CET 2001

> > 1. Ability to disable certain features through the global configuration
in a
> > similar way to the "ALLOW_OPEN_SUBSCRIBE" option. More specifically to
> > able to disallow the private rosters being visible to anyone. This
> > comes under the "Allow the admin to disable option settings by users"
> > list item, but I thought I'd mention this as desirable specific anyway.
> One of the per-list settings available on the web admin interface's
> Options" page is "Who can view subscription list? Anyone / List members /
> List admin only".  Is that what you're looking for?

I saw that, and no, that's not what I'm after.

In the "Default.py", the lines:
| # Private_roster == 0: anyone can see, 1: members only, 2: admin only.
Refers to the default setting for the option you mention, you are able to
change the default setting for this by editing "mm_cfg.py".

What I am suggesting to be a useful feature is for the site administrator to
make a global policy so that "PRIVATE_ROSTER = 0" is not an available option
for the list administrators.

A specific example of a global policy enforcement regarding list behaviour.

I want to prevent any list from ever having an "open" roster (or just the
"list members"). I can currently change the default behaviour, but I
couldn't stop a list administrator from changing it back.