[Mailman-Users] Out-of-office replies

Christopher P. Lindsey lindsey at mallorn.com
Mon Jan 22 20:19:46 CET 2001

> Unless the vacation program quotes back the message it is reponding
> to, it is difficult for Mailman to distinguish between a vacation
> loop and am active poster.  That said, implementing something like
> Formail's MsgID cache for Mailman, except instead of cacheing
> MessageIDs cacheing MD5's of message bodies might be a good idea...

All of my messages have an X-MD5SUM: header added, so doing this with
formail is easy...  Just use this instead of the traditional formail -D
line:

   formail -RX-MD5SUM: From: -R "" A -rD 8192 idcache

If you don't have an X-MD5SUM: header, you could add one.  Here's the
whole blob, including the formail test to see if a message is a duplicate:

   :0
   * B ?? ()^^\/((.*$)*|.*)
   {
      MD5SUM=`echo $MATCH | /usr/bin/md5sum`

      :0
      { MD5SUM = "$MATCH" }

      :0 fhw
      | formail -I"X-MD5SUM: $MD5SUM"
   }

   :0 Whc: msgid.lock
   | formail -RX-MD5SUM: From: -R "" A -rD 8192 md5sum.cache

   :0 a
   ! admin at example.com

Chris