[Mailman-Users] Mail server

Amanda arandall at auntminnie.com
Thu Jul 5 18:01:29 CEST 2001

Karl,

Most of the information you need is included in the documentation. :-)

>From experience, I can tell you that Drake 8 doesn't (easily) install with a
lot of the stuff that, IMO, should've been included. Also some of the stuff
that comes with the distribution is a little out-of-date, has security issues,
etc. Save yourself a little work and ditch the Apache 1.3.19 that comes with
the distribution - get 1.3.20 and set it up as standalone; get yourself an MTA
other than the evil version of sendmail that comes with Mandrake (I'm using
qmail, but other folks use other MTA's quite happily), and to avoid having one
hand tied behind your back when troubleshooting, you might want to set up
xinetd for telnet (and install telnet, if you don't have it).

Beyond that, all I can say is read the instructions for everything three times
before you do anything. Linux documentation has rightfully earned its
reputation as being confusing at best; outdated and incorrect as its norm; and
at worst, far worse than useless as it leads you down a primrose path...

=)
Amanda