[Mailman-Users] Re: Mailman & Sendmail problems

Barry A. Warsaw barry at digicool.com
Tue Jul 10 04:16:49 CEST 2001

    >> It has to do this, or it'll busy loop.  I don't know of a good,
    >> portable way to wait on new files showing up in a directory.

    NB> How about having the process which puts messages into the
    NB> queue send a SIGUSR (or whatever) signal to qrunner?

    CVR> Do what biff or INND do. Create a socket somewhere, and when
    CVR> you want to signal qrunner, write to it. qrunner's idle loop
    CVR> can then select() off the socket and go to sleep until
    CVR> soemthing gets written to it.

I've thought about both of these and (so far) rejected them because of
the additional complexity for not much gain.  A busy Mailman site will
gain nothing if there will always be files in the directory the next
time the runner looks.  For a completely idle site, the 1-second sleep
busy loop seems to impose very little overhead and should be
responsive enough to new incoming mail that it shouldn't matter.

But this isn't set in stone, so if during the alpha-beta cycle we find
that the sleep-busy loop is too expensive, I'll probably adopt the
biff/innd approach.

-Barry