[Mailman-Users] Multiple domain matters

J. Frederick Ball OEF fball at franciscans.com
Fri Jul 13 03:41:10 CEST 2001

Well, I posted about three different questions to the list about how to get
the multiple domain thing happening on my system, which elicited varied and
interesting comments -- mostly suggestions to either run multiple copies of
Mailman or to give in and use a single domain for all lists.  While the
first suggestion is a possible workaround and the second essentially says
"forget it," neither truly answers the question.  However, my search of the
archives demonstrated to my satisfaction that it is a real question and
concern for many people.

Therefore, I'll offer the very simple solution that worked for me -- which
is probably terribly obvious to you who are experienced but wasn't so
obvious to the rest of us -- on the chance that someone else may benefit
from my spelling out the obvious.  After all, that's how lists like this
are eminently helpful -- by providing the simple solutions to things that
others just don't happen to know.

First, I'm running FreeBSD 4.3-STABLE, sendmail, and Mailman 2.0.5.  After
getting a list up and working successfully at my default domain, which
required manually tweaking the aliases file to set up the list addresses, I
went into the admin web interface and changed the next-to-last option under
"General otpions" -- "Host name this list prefers."  I set that to:

         preferreddomain.com

Upon submitting the changes, the list info page read:

list at preferreddomain.com

Then I added this line to my aliases file:

         list at preferreddomain.com        list at mail.preferreddomain.com

That's all it took.  It now seems so simple, but as a relatively new person
in terms of dealing with e-mail administration, I didn't see it
before.  Don't know that this helps anyone, but it helps me to say it and
to review it.

Fred