[Mailman-Developers] Re: [Mailman-Users] [ANNOUNCE] Mailman 2.1 alpha 2

Thomas Wouters thomas at xs4all.net
Tue Jul 17 10:34:22 CEST 2001

On Sat, Jul 14, 2001 at 12:55:04PM -0400, Barry A. Warsaw wrote:

>     >> I realize that a number of other sites misuse GET this way, but
>     >> I think most of the large ones (e.g., Yahoo, online brokerages
>     >> and banks, etc.) get it right, and I think Mailman should too.

[ ... ]

>     CVR> But the key is this is a finalization of a distributed
>     CVR> transaction, with e-mail distributing the token. Under other
>     CVR> circumstances, I see W3's logic.  Here, however, using a URL
>     CVR> to bring up a page that says "click here to confirm" is only
>     CVR> going to piss off Joe User, not make his life better.

> I agree with Chuq.  The user isn't going to understand the distinction
> and is just going to be annoyed by having to do, what to them seems
> like an extra unnecessary step.

After some careful consideration, as well as a chat with a few clueful
colleagues, I have to disagree with you, Barry. The trick here is 'managing
the expectations'. Having the message say something like

To confirm or remove your subscription request, visit

And then have that URL bring up a nice overview of what list you are
subscribing to, the options you chose (regular-digest/mime-digest/etc), what
email address you entered, and 'remove' and 'confirm' buttons. Frankly, it's
always bothered me that you can't unconfirm a mailinglist subscription, let
alone not being able to see what you are subscribing to ;P

Extra credit if you make the URL (or something similar) also work if a
subscription is held for approval, but without a 'confirm' button -- just a
'remove' one. Actually, the same kind of interface for a held message would
be great, too :)

Thomas Wouters <thomas at xs4all.net>