[Mailman-Users] Requested Feature - quotation limitation

Chuq Von Rospach chuqui at plaidworks.com
Sun Jul 22 07:50:00 CEST 2001

On 7/21/01 12:46 PM, "alex wetmore" <alex at phred.org> wrote:

>> in a message ? The purpose is to enforce the member of a mailing lists to
>> always make their reply tidy.

> I removed it because sometimes there are reasons for long quoted
> blocks

USENET tried it 15 years ago. It was an absysmal failure, and nothing's
changed.

> I originally wrote this code to cut off extended replies to digests.
> I found a simpler solution, which is to make the maximum message size
> a lot smaller than the digest size.

There's an even easier solution. Put something unique in the message footer
(and digest header), and then trap any message with that in it. It'll trap
unedited messages since they'll include that material, while limiting the
number of false positives. I've used that filtering technique for a while,
and it's a nice compromise that catches most of the garbage but doesn't
catch much stuff incorrectly.

"He doesn't have ulcers, but he's a carrier."