[Mailman-Users] Installing Mailman 2.1 on Web Host

Barry A. Warsaw barry at zope.com
Wed Jul 25 06:47:32 CEST 2001

    JH> Our web hosting company provides Mailman 2.0.1, but says they
    JH> are no longer supporting it because it's buggy and causes
    JH> problems.  I suggested that they get current on their release,
    JH> but they said I need to install a third party mailing list
    JH> application.

First of all, they aren't using the latest micro (patch) release of
2.0, so they should upgrade to 2.0.5 at the very least.  Second, I'd
like to know more about what's "buggy and causes problems".

    JH> Here's my question.  What kind of difficulties will we
    JH> encounter, and how much cooperation will we need from the
    JH> hosting company, to install version 2.1.a1 in our own space,
    JH> while version 2.0.1 is running on the same server?  We have a
    JH> full user account including ssh access.  Perhaps there is
    JH> someone out there who has done this before, and can enlighten
    JH> us.

At the very least, you'll need cooperation from the web server admin
and the mail daemon admin to hook everything up.  This usually means
root privileges, although if you finagle things on non-standard ports,
you could probably do an entire installation as a non-privileged user
(I haven't tried it).

-Barry