[Mailman-Users] Corrupted aliases.db?

Barry A. Warsaw barry at zope.com
Thu Jul 26 06:29:31 CEST 2001

    JAA> I'm using Mailman 2.1a2 and Postfix. Creating a new list
    JAA> using the new web interface seems to add the aliases to
    JAA> Mailman's data/aliases (text file) but Postfix is unable to
    JAA> find them and returns the posts with a "user unknown" error
    JAA> message.

    JAA> Yes, I've edited both mm_cfg.py, to add MTA = 'Postfix', and
    JAA> postfix/main.cf to add the path for Mailman's aliases.

What exactly are the values for alias_maps and alias_database in your
main.cf?  Please note that /usr/local/mailman/data/aliases should be
only in alias_maps (not alias_database) and it should not have a
trailing .db.  Also, did you run Mailman's bin/genaliases and
"postfix reload"?

    JAA> I've been also trying to make a dump of
    JAA> mailman/data/aliases.db file, but I always get the error
    JAA> shown below. Any help? (other that adding manually the
    JAA> aliases to Postfix aliases file?)

data/aliases.db is not a Python marshal despite the similar suffix.
It's (likely) a Berkeley DB file, which bin/dumpdb knows nothing
about.

-Barry