[Mailman-Users] Optimisation

J C Lawrence claw at 2wire.com
Thu Jul 26 20:00:39 CEST 2001

On Thu, 26 Jul 2001 16:34:36 +0200
Enriko Groen <enriko.groen at netivity.nl> wrote:

> The system sorts the same domains together and delivers these
> messages in several larger batches (the same messages with several
> recipients).

> Now I am wondering is this optimising done by Mailman or is it the
> MTA (postfix) that does this job?

A mixture of both.  IIRC current versions of Mailman will do domain
sorting of addresses before handing them off to the MTA (which is
what Majordomo's bulk_mailer does).  Further, an intelligent MTA ala
Postfix does intelligent queue handling and so will do things like
parallel deliveries to responsive MX'es, cross-spool fallbacks on
slow MXes, multiple parallel queue runners working on deliveries,
etc.

--
J C Lawrence                                    )\._.,--....,'``.