[Mailman-Users] infinite loop on bounce from postmaster to list

Rich Ramos rich at chi.mti.com
Tue Jul 31 20:36:20 CEST 2001

We had an ugly situation occur yesterday.

Here's the summary:
1.  1+ Meg email sent to list with no size limit
2.  An email user, who has a ccMail account that forwards his mail on to
another account outside the company, has his outside mailbox hit his quota
limit.  (This user is also digested)
3.  The MTA at the receiving end that detects the over quota and sends an
email back to the list itself (see below for mail headers as to why this
might happen).
4.  Mailman sends this email back to everyone on the list including the
digested mail user, whose MTA then rejects the email for the same reason as
before.
5.  Repeat steps 3 and 4 about every 8 minutes.

This loop continues until the system comes to a halt from a full /tmp
directory.  On every iteration the mail message grew a little bigger
because the last email gets copied on to the reject message.

There are a few problems here, but I'm not sure which problem is the wrong
case and which solution I should pursue.

Problem #1.  ccMail changes the headers when it processes the mail.

Here's the normal headers from a post to mailman (I've stripped the
Received lines):