[Mailman-Users] header management?

Barry A. Warsaw barry at digicool.com
Wed Jun 6 20:22:32 CEST 2001

    CVR> On Wednesday, June 6, 2001, at 10:58 AM, Tim Tyler wrote:

    >> mailman experts, I just received a request from an owner of a
    >> list on how to limit many of the headers that are received by
    >> the end user.  While some headers are probably necessary, many
    >> are not.

    CVR> This is all over the archives. Barry, has this ever been
    CVR> added to the FAQ, so we can simply point to it and not
    CVR> restart this argument again?

Here's what the FAQ says (in CVS, but not yet pushed out to the
servers):

-------------------- snip snip --------------------
Q. My list members are complaining about Mailman's List-* headers!
   What can I do about this?

A. These headers are added by Mailman for the long-term benefit of
   end-users.  Mailman is compliant with RFC 2369, which is where
   these headers are defined.  See the file README.USERAGENT for hints
   on what to tell your end users.

README.USERAGENT is attached.

Should we say more?  I'm open to suggestions.  If it looks okay, I'll
at least push the revised faq.html out.

-Barry