[Mailman-Users] set gid didn't work?

Amanda arandall at auntminnie.com
Thu Jun 7 00:19:23 CEST 2001

You are NOT going to believe this one. I'm still not quite sure how this
happened...

 I *looked* for a gid of 401 ... and I looked at all the users the system
would list... No matter what I did, I couldn't get the alias user to show up
at all, short of a sledgehammer.

qmail has a user named alias which is supposed to be created in the "nofiles"
group. I went back to my own logs and when I created the users, I put alias
and the other appropriate qmail users in the nofiles group. However, for some
reason it didn't "take" - it would not belong to the nofiles group. I surmise
that the system didn't think it belonged to ANY group,and so gave it its own
group (?) ... and since nobody specified a text name for that group, the
group wouldn't show up. When I finally DID get it to show me the alias user,
guess what its group number was?

401.

I'm guessing that having a broken user "alias" would not affect other mail
going through qmail.... because the other things don't require the gid? Hmm.
It's strange ... because qmail's been working beautifully with the alias user
set wrong ... presumably this whole time?

Ergh.

::off to rip out every instance of gid 401 she can locate::

=)
Amanda
"I don't get paid enough for this"