[Mailman-Users] separate smtp server

alex wetmore alex at phred.org
Fri Jun 8 21:57:46 CEST 2001

On Fri, 8 Jun 2001, JT wrote:
> I am trying to set up a mailman installation where the web and smtp
> servers are separate... E.g., the list address is mylist at foo.org,
> my mail server is mail.foo.org, and the interface is maintained on
> www.foo.org

My first question is, what is your goal in doing this?

I have a system where the web and smtp servers are mostly seperate.
The server which hosts the lists primarily does the web stuff, and has
incoming email via postfix.  Mailman hands off outgoing email to
another SMTP server which is better setup to handle sending large
amounts of email.  This configuration is really easy to setup and
might meet your needs.

If you don't want to expose the smtp server on the web box to the
world then you could have incoming email go to the smtp box, and have
it hand off mailman mail to the web box.  This way the smtp server on
the web box would only need to allow connections from the smtp box.
If I had to run behind a single IP address this is the configuration
that I would use.

alex