[Mailman-Users] Re: separate smtp server: Solved??

JT luser at ahab.com
Fri Jun 8 22:10:18 CEST 2001

OK, so the mail server doesn't need to know anything about mailman in
particular: for the generated aliases, e.g.
	mylist:		"wrapper blah blah"
Do instead
	mylist:		mylist at webserver.foo.org

And set up the web server normally.  I think this works!

Generally I try to stop myself from asking questions when I can figure
out the answer on my own, but this was one of those times where I
figured it out by asking in the right way...

I can't believe I didn't try Mailman earlier.  I have no problem with
mailing in commands, but my list administrators find Mailman much
easier than that other thing we use...

On Fri, Jun 08, 2001 at 02:33:00PM -0400, JT wrote:
> I am trying to set up a mailman installation where the web and smtp
> servers are separate... E.g., the list address is mylist at foo.org,
> my mail server is mail.foo.org, and the interface is maintained on
> www.foo.org
>
> And all of a sudden I'm not sure it's possible, although apparently it
> is possible, looking at this very list -- mailman-users at python.org,
> mail.python.org, www.python.org!!!
>
> 	* Wouldn't each server have to know about the list, and therefor
> 	maintain their own configurations?  That's obviously a problem.
> 	How do I avoid it?
>
> 	* Or do I just need to do proper mail routing to get this to
> 	behave?  IOW, the MUA routes list mail to the web server, which
> 	then "knows" what to do?
>
> I know I'm missing the obvious here, but I just can't see it...  It
> MUST be the mail-routing solution, but I can't figure out what goes
> where and to what accounts on what servers...  Sendmail-specific
> recommendations would be convenient, but any reasonably lucid
> explanation of where the mail goes and I'll plod my way through
> aliases, virtusertable, etc.
>
> TIA,
> JT

 Jason Thaxter        /"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign
 jason at thaxter.net    \ / - NO HTML/RTF in e-mail
 (917) 334-9981        X  - NO Word docs in e-mail
                      / \