[Mailman-Users] timed delivery

Dave Sherohman esper at sherohman.org
Mon Jun 11 16:49:10 CEST 2001

On Tue, Jun 05, 2001 at 10:11:59PM -0400, Dennis J. McCombs wrote:
> I am developing a web site that will require daily e-mail to my
> subscribers.  I would like to write several mailings and
> program each one to be mailed at a certain date in the future.  Is
> there a format that can schedule future delivery?

I doubt that this can be done within Mailman or your MTA, but, in the grand
unix tradition of splitting tasks up among little tools that each do one
thing well, allow me to suggest... cron and at.

at is good for a one-time mailing, while cron is designed to to the same
thing at the same time every day.  Either way, the simplest case (to explain,
anyhow) would be to put the text of your message into a file and then have
at/cron run the command

/usr/bin/mail list-address at mail.host.org -s "Message subject" < /path/to/message.txt

See man cron, man crontab, man 5 crontab, and man at for information on how
cron and at work if you're not familiar with them.

--
That's not gibberish...  It's Linux. - Byers, The Lone Gunmen
Geek Code 3.12:  GCS d? s+: a C++ UL++++$ P++>+++ L+++>++++ E- W--(++) N+