[Mailman-Users] Filtering HTML & RICH

alex wetmore alex at phred.org
Mon Jun 11 18:45:57 CEST 2001

On Mon, 11 Jun 2001, Mike T. Gholson wrote:
> A couple of questions related to filtering.
>
> 1) Is there a way to dis-allow the use of HTML & RICH text
> formatted messages?  I'm hosting a list and the majority of
> my users do NOT want to see HTML or RICH text formatted
> messages.  If a user sends a message in either format, it's
> currently going through.  I'd like to bounce those type of
> messages.
>
> 2) Now, after the message bounces, I was wondering if there
> was an easy way to configure mailman to send them information
> about HOW to format the message correctly (or at least a better
> description as to WHY it bounced)?....

Most people handle this issue by using demime, stripmime, or a
similar tool which down-converts the email to rich text.  This
is the easiest option for most users to understand.

If you search the archives you'll find tons of information on this.
Stripmime can be found at http://www.phred.org/~alex/stripmime.html.
Demime can be found at http://scifi.squawk.com/demime.html.

It sounds like Mailman 2.1 might have this functionality built
in.

alex