[Mailman-Users] Instability of Mailman or ?

Louiza louiza at home.com
Wed Jun 13 07:17:55 CEST 2001

At 2:43 PM -0500 6/12/01, Mark Roedel wrote:

>Do your support staff give you any idea what the problem was, or what
>they had to do to correct it?

No. They never have, even though I do ask.

>   That might give us something to go on in
>identifying where, exactly, the problem lies.

I know. I'm sorry. I am just frustrated. I finally got a reply to my
support ticket that I opened this morning and the fellow said he
created a test list at my website and it seemed to be working "just
fine". Trouble is, I'd bet he did not set up a list of 300 members,
which would better match my mailing list.

>I've been running Mailman since the 2.0betas, and haven't had any
>ongoing stability problems, although I'll admit I don't have any
>particularly high-traffic lists at the moment.  And I don't see anything
>in the changelog since 2.0.1 that looks like it was meant to address the
>sort of issue you seem to be describing (although you certainly haven't
>given much in the way of detail upon which to make that judgment...)

True. The list in question only has 300 members, but it's a pretty
active bunch of posters. :) Today's problem is simply that the mail
is not being delivered. I have heard from several regular posters
that they've received no mail in the past 24 hours. I haven't
received any either, although I've sent in about 10 posts throughout
the day.

Last week, some members were complaining of missing mail. I was
missing some too and could tell by reading replies to posts.

Two weeks ago, I could not get into the Admin. pages nor the info
page for the list.

About a week after the list was created and up and running, a digest
got stuck in the mail queue and the looping filled some members boxes
with up to 500 copies of the same digest. That was a lovely mess! ;)

I don't have access to any other information to try and solve
problems, not even a log file.

>Mailman does website archiving as well, if it's configured to do so.

Yes, and that's the other interesting thing -- there is mail showing
up in the Archives for today.

>You'd still be without the web-based posting, but I'd venture that it
>might be better than nothing.

Well, true, it would be better than nothing, but using the Archives
to post from is cumbersome.

Thanks for your input!

Regards,

Louiza