[Mailman-Users] This is unixstuff warning

JC Dill mailman at vo.cnchost.com
Wed Jun 13 18:55:05 CEST 2001

On 08:44 AM 6/13/01, Chuq Von Rospach wrote:

 >On Wednesday, June 13, 2001, at 07:53 AM, JC Dill wrote:
 >
 >> I subscribe to the "teach them to fish" method,
 >
 >I used to. Now I'm in the "parents don't want justice, they want quiet"
 >mode, and I do what's fastest and easiest for me, which is usually to

Which means that they will expect ME to do the same when they come to my
list.  And that's probably why they expect it from you too, in the first
place, because some guy before you (at a previous list) also did their
unsubbing for them, instead of teaching them how.

At some point they *have* to learn to do this for themselves.  Why are you
not willing to do your part to help them learn, and leave it to the rest of
us to educate them???  All it takes is a boilerplate message, apply via
cut-n-paste or have it as stationary or a .sig.

 >just unsubscribe them. I've had one too many battle with the "don't talk
 >to me about instructions, you do it" school of "you run this, you're my
 >slave" idiots.

 >I think the "teach them to fish" mode worked in earlier days. Today, too
 >many people feel everyone else owes them whatever they want.

I don't let clueless newbies tell me what they want me to do for
them.  Period.  Occasionally someone tries to boss me around and gets
roasted for their efforts.  I bet they won't try that again with the next
list admin...  And if it keeps them off mailing lists entirely (go use some
web board then), all the better.  If they don't care to learn netiquette
and exhibit decent manners then mailing lists are better off without them.

jc