[Mailman-Users] This is unixstuff warning

Chuq Von Rospach chuqui at plaidworks.com
Wed Jun 13 20:46:41 CEST 2001

On Wednesday, June 13, 2001, at 11:38 AM, Phil Stracchino wrote:

> They don't want you to teach them how to fish ...
> learning is hard, and they might hurt themselves on the hook.

many times, this really means we need improved fish hooks.

Frankly -- while list server software has made big improvements, much of
the time, we forget that what's obvious to us as techies isn't to the
people we're calling idiots. And is that their fault? Or ours, for
building software that isn't easy to use by people who aren't techies?

As I noted earlier today when people were ripping the guy saying "just
delete *@foo.bar" -- mailman doesn't give an admin any way to find what
address a message is sent to, other than waiting for the monthly mailing
(unless the mailman system has turned off monthly mailings; and when
Barry rolls in the ability for a user to turn that off individually,
THEN what?).

Is that the admins fault? No. He's working from the info we're giving
him.

Is it the idiot's fault if they can't figure out how this stuff works?
sometimes. But to assume it's always their fault -- go have your mother
sign up for a bunch of mail lists and see how easy she finds it.

It's a thankless job, but I've got a lot of
Karma to burn off.