[Mailman-Users] This is unixstuff warning

Phil Stracchino alaric at babylon5.babcom.com
Wed Jun 13 21:08:56 CEST 2001

On Wed, Jun 13, 2001 at 11:46:41AM -0700, Chuq Von Rospach wrote:

> On Wednesday, June 13, 2001, at 11:38 AM, Phil Stracchino wrote:
>
> > They don't want you to teach them how to fish ...
> > learning is hard, and they might hurt themselves on the hook.
>
> Is it the idiot's fault if they can't figure out how this stuff works?
> sometimes. But to assume it's always their fault -- go have your mother
> sign up for a bunch of mail lists and see how easy she finds it.

Yes, this is very true, and I completely understand the situation of
someone who just plain doesn't understand.  What gets me frustrated is the
people who actively *don't want* to understand, because no matter how
simple it is, they want it done for them.  I got lots of this kind of crap
at my previous job, and it's one of the reasons I left.  They preferred to
make me drop whatever I was doing, leave my office and walk to the other
side of the building (and they knew I had leg injuries) and do it [for
various trivial values of "it"] for them each time they needed it done,
rather than pay attention for literally thirty seconds while I showed them
how to do it themselves next time.

Simple lack of understanding is, well, understandable, and more or less
excusable depending on various factors.  The combination of determined
ignorance and wilful laziness, IMHO, is not.  Someone who has difficulty
learning needs assistance; someone who refuses to learn because they'd
rather make someone else do it for them, needs a swift boot to the head.

--
 Linux Now!   ..........Because friends don't let friends use Microsoft.
 phil stracchino   --   the renaissance man   --   mystic zen biker geek