[Mailman-Users] Allowing users to join without specifying pas swords

Norbert Bollow nb at thinkcoach.com
Fri Jun 15 19:39:45 CEST 2001

>     NB> How about this: Put a link "to unsubscribe click here" at the
>     NB> bottom of every mail you send out.  That link has the
>     NB> subscriber's email address embedded in it, and it leads to a
>
> The biggest hangup I've had with this approach is that it requires
> Mailman to send N number of messages to the MTA, where N is the number
> of members, as opposed to the currently 1 message it now sends (modulo
> chunking factors).

Again, this is _not_ a problem with qmail, for which a patch is
available that makes the MTA (qmail) do a pattern replacement to
insert the subscribed address on-the-fly while talking SMTP to
the remote host.

I'll try to get my promised webpage up tonight which explains
in some detail how to set this up.

> That's always seemed a big pill to swallow, but maybe it's time to
> make that optional?  I'd just want to be sure that if you decide to do
> that for your 150k member list, you know what you're doing. ;)

Is Mailman suitable for lists of that size anyway?  (I mean,
before someone implements the MySQL backend functionality.)

Greetings, Norbert.