[Mailman-Users] Allowing users to join without specifying pas swords

alex wetmore alex at phred.org
Fri Jun 15 21:26:59 CEST 2001

On Fri, 15 Jun 2001, Chuq Von Rospach wrote:
> Is it really? Most of us are already setting that chunking factor very
> small (5-10) for performance purposes. Moving it from 10 to 1 isn't
> really all that significant, and it's only an issue where people are
> already stressing server or network capacity. It seems to me that
> server's in trouble anyway, as membership grows, so all you're doing is
> delaying reality.
>
> And besides. Are we here to make life easy for the server? or the
> subscriber?
>
> I think this attitude is a hangover from the days of uucp dialups and
> slow modems, Barry. it's time to realize that computers are cheap,
> compared to time lost by the people using them and the hassle they cause
> to the users.

Computers are cheap.  Bandwidth isn't necessarily cheap.  I run with a
very high chunking factor because my MTA properly handles it (it can
do multiple simultaneous deliveries from a single message, so there is
no real cost in just turning off chunking).

If this change is made please make it an option.  I'd much rather deal
with having a few people ask for help unsubscribing every once in a
while than to send 130 30kb digests every few hours to hotmail instead
of 1 30kb digest to them.  My membership base on my largest lists has
been fairly static at about 1000 subscribers for over a year, and I
don't see this changing anytime soon.

What I would like to see is a webpage with a URL like: